Yay! You’ve booked a shoot with Phoenix Productions ATL! We’re super excited to meet you and capture your special moments!
If you’re now thinking to yourself “What now?!”, let us guide you in the right direction!
First, (and this is one of my favorite parts) start preparing your outfit!
If you’re anything like me, you might like to find out the location first so that you can plan your outfit accordingly. Just keep in mind the vision that you have for your portraits! You don’t have to wear matching outfits, just color coordinate a bit and find outfits that make everyone look and feel comfortable and beautiful individually, and together. Avoid clothing that is too tight or uncomfortable. We love capturing candid moments and it might be hard for you to improvise and move freely if your clothes are too tight. Also, tight clothing can accentuate parts of our bodies that we don’t necessarily want seen (like me and my little muffin top 🤦🏽♀️). Keep these things in mind while looking for that perfect outfit. Whatever you do, just remember that when you feel beautiful, you look beautiful!
If you would like some inspiration, check out our Pinterest board!
And here are a few tips to help you look your best:
- Please try to coordinate your outfits and avoid clothing with large logos, bright colors or wording. This will distract the subject(s) in the photograph. Here are some suggestions to help you prepare for your session:
- Choose solid colored clothing so that we can see all of your faces and no specific person will stand out in the session.
- Choose muted tones so that you are the subject and not your outfits.
- Choose similar tones for your top and bottom. If you choose a lighter top and darker bottoms, it will make your top look larger and vice versa.
- Select a few colors with similar tones when there will be multiple people in your session or you can choose the matching look, but that is up to you.
- Choose tops with sleeves or at least to your elbow. Your arms take up more skin area than your face and have a tendency of making your arms look larger.
- Choose accessories appropriate for the outfits you choose and try to pick timeless pieces.
- Style your hair and makeup in a way you would normally style it for the type of outfit you choose.
- Plan your outfit days before your session so you can get plenty of rest the night before your session and are not rushing the day of your session to pull everything together.
Now, let’s talk about what you should bring.
We strongly advise you to bring props. Whether its balloons (especially for birthday, maternity, or senior sessions), a pretty blanket, picnic basket, cool tandem bicycle, a book or bible, baby shoes or onesie, or even a letterboard… the possibilities are endless. Whatever you bring we will do our best to incorporate it into your shoot. Just keep your location in mind when choosing props.
The next thing that we need to discuss is hair and makeup!
Do you know what one of this biggest things is that really makes people feel beautiful? Having a great hair and makeup day. These photos are capturing very special moments and you will be cherishing them for a very long time. It doesn’t matter what you wear if you don’t feel like your hair or makeup doesnt look right. I’ve dealt with this a lot doing fresh 48 (hospital newborn) photography. No matter how beautiful dad and I tell mom she looks, she just doesn’t want to be in any pictures without her hair and makeup being done. And I get it! She wants to feel and look her absolute best and I agree wholeheartedly.
That being said, you could hire a professional makeup artist or stylist, set a hair and makeup appointment for the same day of your shoot, or if money is tight you can do your hair or mmakeup yourself or with the help of your friends and family.
However you do it, just make sure that you feel beautiful.
Other than that, just prep yourself mentally. Think about the kind of pictues you want to see, the facial exprsessions that you want to portray. Look up different poses and pictures online if you’d like… just dont over analyze and over think and psych yourself out. Relax. We’re going to do our best to capture moments and present images that you will want to hang up on your walls and present to the world! We’re so excited to work with you 🌻 if you have any other questons feel free to pop on over to our FAQs or if you can’t find the answer to your question you can shoot us an email at ContactPhoenixProd@gmail.com!